Monday, October 15, 2007

A hiatus...

IT's been like, what, a week since I've climbed? What a travesty! No worries though, Matt and I got out yesterday for a couple of climbs. It was super packed with tourists and out-of-towners yesterday, so Matt and I headed for the Nears. We did two climbs -- Fat Stick (5.8), and Birdcage (5.10)

Matt led the first pitch of Fat Stick, which is the crux pitch. It works up under this roof, and then you have to work up into this open book sort of thing. Awkward, but fun awkward. I led the second pitch, which has a nice delicate traverse in it. Matt led the last pitch, and it was sort of Hans' Puss-like, super exposed but with buckets to hold on to. Great climb.

We then headed over to Birdcage, which is a totally beautiful line. It works up this dihedral that has a thin crack the whole way up. It is one of those climbs where every single move is awesome. So you work up the dihedral, and then you are under a pretty big roof. There is a hard, delicate traverse and then up pull of up over the roof. That crux move was AWESOME. You are like 60 feet up, there is nothing below you, your feet cut, and then you throw a heal up and reach for a tiny crimper. Just an awesome climb. I then led the second pitch of Birdland, which goes at 5.8. It reminded me a lot of Son of Easy O, except it was a little more sustained.

Oh, and by the way, I got a job! Woohoo. If you ever want some delivery pizza, call My Hero Pizzas and Subs 255-1010.

No comments: