Friday, May 23, 2008

Bouldering

After our mileage day, Matt and I went out for a day of bouldering. The weather was pretty sketchy -- a morning thunderstorm had already graced us with its presence, but we decided to go for it anyway. Peter's Kill closes in December and doesn't up again until April, so neither of us had been there for a while, and they do have sick bouldering. So we went there. Straight to the Outbreak boulder.

We warmed up on VD which is a fun little V3 dyno problem. Certainly some hero pulling: you can't help but feel like a hero. After that we worked $5 Traverse, which goes at V5. It basically follows a thin horizontal from one side of the boulder to the other. At the crux the seem is tiny, the holds are far away, and you don't really have any feet. Really cool. I think it could go with a few more days of work. Lots of stemming and reaching and coolness. We worked that problem for probably 20 or 30 minutes, and then we went over and did Tree-Bola Direct-Direct which is a V1, which we both onsighted. Super fun moves.

Last year we had noticed a problem called Mentos (V4) that follows this really sharp, overhung arete. It looked like it involved lots of heel hooking, and meat hooking and other various sick hooks. We sat down on it and within half a dozen tries, I sent it! Matt got it the time after I did. I even got the repeat. Definitely a really awesome climb with an opportunity for some sick photos. I liked it so much, I did it twice in a row. Woo-hoo!

And guess what else we did. We went for a run. I probably haven't run in like 3 years. My legs hurt right now, but it felt really good to run again. I guess we are going to try and run like three times a week, which I think is a really good idea. I'm excited to get sick-nasty strong this summer. That's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

No comments: