Thursday, February 17, 2011

Mobile Home, Part Duex

After some thinking, a plan was hatched to put lids on the framed compartments. The first step was to cut supports and screw them into the sides of the compartments. I took 1x3's and cut them down the center at a 45° angle. Then I measured the correct height around all the edges and drew my lines. After clamping the angled supports in the correct position, I drilled counter-sunk pilot holes and then put the screws in.

I wanted to put in hinged lids so that they could be opened and easily but the engineering of that goal proved to be a little tricky. The edge of the cap overhangs the bed of the truck by just a little bit and so I had to offset the hinge by a little bit by making the lids out of two pieces of plywood. I also put industrial strength Velcro on to keep the lids from popping up whilst driving.

The lids are completely removable, even though that are made of two pieces. We glued dowels onto the small, outside piece of the lid, which pop into drilled holes on the original frame.

The finished product!



I'm planning on testing this baby out the first week in March. Woot woot!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

my jealousy is inconcievable. looks awesome.

-charlie

Phil McKraken said...

Ironic that Margaret helped build the vessel that will carry the man she loves out of her life...

Jesse Littleton said...

Would that be "tragic irony" (a character's lack of knowledge leads to tragic consequences)? Nah, I just need to fine tune the vessel so that it's perfect for when we both go away for months at a time.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for the three of us to go on road trips all the time!

...

jk

<3 Matt