Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Arch and Maria

YESTERDAY, Matt and I got to get a little more serious about pulling down on some quartzite conglomerate.

We decided to get on a climb called Arch first thing. It's a 5.5 PG moves through a COOL roof section on the first pitch. Very COOL moves for sure. We decided to link up with the second pitch of Wrist, 5.6 G which was a.w.e.s.o.m.e. You may be wondering about the excessive 'awesome' emphasis, but don't worry, there is good reason. First of all, I led the pitch, so that's always an added rush. And second it had a way COOL roof. I got up to the roof and checked it out, put in a red C4 and went out this roof/arete. I got like half way out, got scared, did some down climbing, backed up my red with another yellow C4, and tackled the crux again. This time I managed to scramble over the edge. Super fun pitch, which by the end, with little gear, I got to see what it felt like to run some things out.

Maria, which is a 5.6+ PG, is three pitches all different, all awesome. The first pitch has a nice long traverse which Matt led - even got to place some tri-cams. I led the second pitch which was a nice corner with some roofy/cruxy spots. Definitely got to feel what it was like to be above gear, slightly pumped and nervous about placing a bomber piece of gear. Got through it in the end, and even built my first anchor! Yay! Matt lead the third pitch with was a big ol' roof.

I love that the gunks has killer roofs in every single grade.

Rocks....siiiiick....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This post appears to have been written by a TOTAL NOOB.