Saturday, May 29, 2010

Work Stinks

Work does stink. I officially ended my six month hiatus from employment today. But as far as jobs go, it seems like working at the Mirror Lake Inn isn't going to be too bad. That said, work stinks.

But, to end my vacation, I took a trip down to the Gunks. I got to do some bouldering on the carriage road...did the Lorax and Million Dollar Problem, and worked a little on New Pair of Glasses and Jackson Pollock. I think I'm pretty close on Jackson... Also got to rope up with Maria and Margaret. We went to the Nears and climbed Disneyland and Grease Gun Groove. Always a blast.

Yesterday I had an "orientation" at the Inn. I was done with that at like 5:30, so I zipped over to Silver Lake and did some scrubbing on Zoinks!!. I was able to drive from Placid to Silver Lake, hike to the Chimney Cliff, then to the top of it, set up a static line and scrub pretty much the whole route all before it got dark. I was in race mode for sure.

I ended up just leaving the static up there and went back this morning and top-rope soloed the route. Got it clean (woo hoo) and then scrubbed the whole thing from top to bottom again. She's now ready for a clean lead. Having been able to top-rope solo it, I'd say the pitches go at like 10c and 10d. But it's also definitely way pumpy to lead.

One plus to the Mirror Lake Inn is that shifts start at 4:30. That means full climbing days still. Dat's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

2 comments:

tourpro said...

I feel for you! MLI isn't a bad gig, there are definitely worse places you could hang-out.

Jesse Littleton said...

So far so good with the MLI. I think it's going to be a fine job. Better than standing in the cold swing chairs for sure.